Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cook Much?

Do you cook? I do. I love to, matter o' fact. I get bored very easily and like to try new recipes a lot. I get this from my momma. She is always "trying out" new recipes on us. Some are big hits, like this butternut squash recipe she tried out on us for Thanksgiving one year. Some are not, like a red beet and leek salad that is not even worth finding the link for. My husband is the only one who ate some, but not because he liked it. More so because he is a sweetheart.

Anyway, one of my college roommates had a boyfriend who liked to cook. He made this recipe one day, and I've made it ever since. It's easy, very filling, and I think it's even better the next day straight from the fridge.

What You Need

1 env. GOOD SEASONS Asian Sesame Dressing Mix, prepared as directed on envelope
2 Tbsp.  soy sauce
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 Tbsp.  crunchy peanut butter
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp.  crushed red pepper
1 pkg. (1 lb.) thin spaghetti
2   carrots, shredded
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup  chopped cilantro
 
Make It

MIX dressing and soy sauce. Pour 1/3 cup over chicken in bowl; toss to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour to marinate. Meanwhile, mix remaining dressing mixture, peanut butter, honey and crushed red pepper.

COOK spaghetti as directed on package. Meanwhile, transfer chicken and marinade to skillet; cook and stir on medium-high heat 8 min. or until chicken is done. Place chicken in large bowl.
DRAIN spaghetti. Add to chicken mixture with peanut butter mixture and all remaining ingredients; mix lightly

Now, that's the actual recipe. However, I've made a few changes over the years. I cannot find that Good Seasons packet for the life of me anymore. So, I buy some version of thai peanut dressing in the dressing section at Kroger. I usually just make sure it has peanuts, sesame seeds, and soy sauce, so I can skip that portion of the recipe.

Next, I add extra of everything--dressing, cilantro, carrots, onions, etc. Matthew likes to add extra red pepper flakes to his, but not for me! Too hot- I'm a wimp.



Really, it is so very easy, and I usually know something is pretty good if Matthew is willing to eat leftovers of a dish. He's kind of a leftover snob if you will, and if he thinks something is good enough to have it twice that week, I make a mental note to make it again!


And here's the little stinker who's literally killing me at night. I know, I KNOW, at almost 7 months, this little guy is capable of sleeping through the night. He's done it before! And I truly am not opposed to him crying it out, but then I also know those mean ole' teeth are coming in, and I feel bad for my hurting baby. Last night, he was conked out at 9. I went to bed soon after and was asleep by 10. At 1, he was screaming his head off. Matthew and I were up for an hour consoling him back to sleep. The fun new stage is that he doesn't want ANYONE other than his momma. While that seems awfully sweet, what that really means is even if I'm in the same room with him, I have to be the one holding him. What a stinker!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to make this :)
    minus the cilantro - I despise cilantro!!

    ReplyDelete