Monday, July 12, 2010

July's Resolution.

I'm going to learn how to sew. Yep, I'm starting a new year's resolution in July. Call it my summer resolution. I think I am finally getting to the point where I can rely on Eli taking at least a one hour nap every day, sometimes two- three hours. So, I want to learn how to sew. Why? Because 1. This Fall, when almost everyone else goes back to work, I'm going to need a hobby. 2. I love smocked and hand-sewn outfits for babies, and I don't want to spend $40 every time I buy one. So, what's a girl to do? I want to learn how to make:
Remember Nguyen?                       

Etsy                                               
Remember Nguyen

Sorry, I don't remember where I got the other ones, but they are all fairly basic shortall jon-jons and bubbles. I think I can do it. First step, fix my "vintage" old and banged up Singer machine. Second, order some cheap fabric to practice. Third, practice! We'll see how this goes.

Oh, and I want his closet to look like this:

I'm too embarrassed to show you what it actually looks like right now.

3 comments:

  1. All the power to you girl. It is becoming a lost art for our generation. My mom sews and she always made our Halloween costumes--something I wish I could do for my kids. Not learning to sew is one of the biggest regrets I have from my days of living at home. I hope it works out for you because I think your children will love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started sewing at the beginning of the summer. I took a class and they taught us how to make boy rompers and girl jumpers with appliques. You'll be able to figure it out. You'll have the best dressesd boy in town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it Jane! I too want to learn to sew. My Mom sews and smocks beautiful outfits for my children every once in a blue moon and I hate paying upwards of $50 everytime I purchase an outfit for one of my kids. I love dressing my kids the way little boys and girls should be dressed and wish I could create those outfits myself. :) Keep us posted on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete